- Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours), University of Western Australia
- Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Prosthodontics), University of Melbourne
- Aesthetic / Cosmetic Challenges – Ceramic Rehabilitation
- Dental Implant Biomechanics and Reconstructions
- Complex Reconstruction – Management of Worn Dentition
- Complex Multidisciplinary Dental Treatment – Collaboration with Other Dental Specialists
- Professional Appointments as Executive / Committee Member
Dr Janice Kan is an Australian board-certified prosthodontist. She received her Bachelor of Dental Science degree with honours from the University of Western Australia in 2001 and was awarded the Wyn Needham Memorial Prize for being the most outstanding student. In 2007, she received commendations with the completion of the Primary Examinations of The Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons. Upon her graduation from the three years full time Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Prosthodontics) degree at the University of Melbourne, she returned to Perth and commenced Perth Prosthodontics in 2011.
She is currently the Immediate Past President of The Academy of Australian and New Zealand Prosthodontists (AANZP) and has been heavily involved with this peak body of specialty prosthodontics in the last four years. In 2014, she founded and is a Past President of Women in Dentistry Society (WA). She is a fellow of the International Team for Implantology (ITI), International College of Dentists (ICD) and the Academy of Dentistry International (ADI). In 2017, she was appointed as an Adjunct Senior Clinical Lecturer by the University of Western Australia (UWA).
With keen interest in dental implant biomechanics and worn dentition, she has presented her clinical cases and research at various national and international conferences and has published in respected international dental journal and clinical textbook.
Conferences Presented In
- The International Team of Implantology – ITI Congress Australasia 2016 (Melbourne, Australia)
- The International Team of Implantology – ITI Education Day 2012 (Adelaide, Australia)
- International College of Prosthodontists (ICP) Conference 2011 (Hawaii, USA)
- International Quintessence Symposium on Periodontics and Restorative Dentistry 2010 (Sydney, Australia)
- The Academy of Australian and New Zealand Prosthodontists (AANZP) Biennial Conference 2010 (Melbourne, Australia)
To read the abstract of Dr Kan’s research publication, please click the link below.
Kan, J. P. M., R. B. Judge, et al. (2014) In-vitro bone strain analysis of implant following occlusal overload. Clinical Oral Implants Research. 25(2):e73-82. (Article Epub 2012)
To refer to the published clinical case performed by Dr Kan, titled “Repeated Acrylic Fractures on a Mandibular Fixed Full-arch Implant-supported Metal / Acrylic Prosthesis” in (2014) S.Chen, D. Buser, D. Wismeijer (Eds.). ITI Treatment Guide Volume 8 – Biological and Hardware Complications in Implant Dentistry. Quintessence Publishing Co. Ltd, Chicago (2014), pp. 33–57.
To listen to the Australian Dental Association interview with Dr Kan on her research, please click the link below.
Besides private specialist practice, she remains active in academic teaching including:
- Fellow and Registered Speaker for the International Team for Implantology (ITI)
- Director of the International Team for Implantology (ITI) – Perth ITI Study Club (WA)
- Director of the Perth Prosthodontics Study Club
- Adjunct Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Western Australia
- Examiner for Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Prosthodontics) Research Thesis for the University of Melbourne
- Referee for Research Grant Application – Australian Dental Research Foundation Inc (ADRF)
- Guest Presenter for South West Dental Convocation, Australian Society of Orthodontists (ASO), Australian Prosthodontic Society (APS), Australasian Osseointegration Society (AOS), Australian Dental Association Continuing Professional Development Education Programs (WA, VIC, NSW).
List of Lectures
- Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
- Assessment of Tooth Restorability
- Adhesive Dentistry and Dental Cements
- Dental Composites
- Dental Ceramics
- Back to Basics Fixed Prosthodontics – Lecture Series and Hands On
- Dental Crown, Post and Core Preparations
- Management of Heavily Restored Teeth
- Dental Ceramic Veneer Case – How is it done?
- Risk Assessment and Implant Complications
- My First Implant – Series I, II
- Straumann, Nobel Biocare, Dentsply Astra – Lecture and Hands On Introduction to Implants
- Implant Overload – Fact or Fiction
- Implant Overload – Biological and Mechanical Complications – Series I, II
- Introduction to Digital Dentistry
- CADCAM Techniques in Implant Planning and Surgical Placement
- Management of Worn Dentition – Series I, II, III
- Aesthetic Principles – Series I, II
- Clinical Presentations – Simple to Complex Cases – Series I, II, III
- Clinical Dilemmas – Problem Solving by The Experts (Specialist Interdisciplinary Case Panel – Oral maxillofacial surgery, Prosthodontics and Laboratory Perspectives)
- Treatment Planning and Implant Management of Edentulous Patients
- Management of Edentulous Patients – All on 4 – What is the Hype?
- Interdisciplinary Treatment Approach – Pre-Prosthetic Orthodontics
- Treatment Planning and Complications in Clinical Dentistry (Specialist Interdisciplinary Case Panel)
- Overseas Dentistry – Management of Failures
To maintain a high level of clinical advancements for the practice of Prosthodontics, Dr Kan is a member / fellow / presenter of the following reputable professional organisations.
- International College of Prosthodontists (ICP)
- International College of Dentist (ICD)
- The Academy of Australian and New Zealand Prosthodontists (AANZP)
- International Team for Implantology (ITI)
- University of Western Australia (UWA)
- Academy of Dentistry International (ADI)
- Dental Specialists Society of Western Australia (DSSWA)
- Australian Prosthodontic Society (APS)
- Australasian Osseointegration Society (AOS)
- Australian Dental Association (ADA)